Monday 17 April 2017

Goodbye Ireland

My last day in Ireland was 30 miles back to the airport. Mostly through lovely rolling countryside of rivers, meadows and again many cows. Roads got less pleasant closer to the airport but the drivers were considerate throughout the trip. Especially around towns where no one seemed in any hurry.

Apparently Southern Ireland is very popular for cycle touring but I only saw one other tourer. It was definitely early in the season and a tad chilly at times but I had dry weather the whole time and very quiet roads. In the summer I can imagine the coast roads and campsites get very busy.

In fact I was thinking it was funny how few cyclists I'd seen on my trip. It seems they were all saving themselves for Sunday. Sunday is the day the Lycra clad cyclists come out to play! I must have seen 50-60 other cyclists on Easter Sunday but disappointly only one of those was female. Presumably the women were all busy cooking Sunday dinner. It was suprising and quite sad to see such a gender difference.

Anyways I'm now back home again and looking forward to the next trip. I'd definitely recommend Ireland as a place for touring. Nice gradients, lovely people, plenty of minor roads to explore and plenty of campsites along the coast at least. Also an astonishing number of B&Bs signposted at every junction if that's more your cup of tea. Navigating an airport & flight with a bike plus gear is a bit of a pain but do-able. A ferry is perhaps a better transportation mode.




No comments:

Post a Comment

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...