Tuesday 30 May 2017

Stats

I know a few readers will probably want some statistics!

After having met a guy doing 100mile days every day I know I'm not pushing the limits of endurance by any means. This is what I have done, enjoying the cycling & taking it easy (still not enough time to make a dent on my summer reading list). There hasn't been a day when I've not wanted to get on the bike.

Totals for May
19 Days Touring
761 miles (average of 40 miles a day)
86.5 hours spent cycling with luggage. This does not include stops. When the bike stops the computer stops. (Average of 4.6 hours pedalling per day)
Average speed 8.8mph. On a flat day with no wind I can maintain an average of 10mph+ fairly easily.
I can't track my elevation but there have been many hills.

Longest day mileage wise = 59miles (6:44)
Longest day time wise = 7:00 (54miles)
Shortest day = 22 miles / 2:43

Bike issues
Punctures = 0
Slight issue with front derailleur getting twisted out of line, easily fixed.

Other cycle tourers met - 25

Of these 25 there were:-
23 males, 2 females
3 Brits, 1 Dutch, 1 Belgian, 1 New Zealander, 19 Americans
Ages - A wide range of ages from the 20's to 60's.
All were white (my judgement based on appearance)
Roughly half were solo and half travelling with friends / partners. A lot of solo riders had joined forces with others for some of the trail at least.

Most of these were cycling the Trans America route. Some were doing sections of the route as part of their tour. When I say met I mean I crossed paths for enough time to say hello to and gather the basic stats above. Most I stayed with or talked to for a lot longer than that - there is a great community among the tourers and you never pass another without at least a quick chat.

As I'm skipping the rest of the mid-west I am more likely to meet cyclists going the other way across the country when I first pick up the trail again. This is good as I can pick their brains for good camping spots and/or where the bears are lurking!



4 comments:

  1. Disappointing girl turnout though. Any of them solo? At least you'll up the quota in everyone else's stats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not met any other solo females. Hopefully they exist somewhere! I'm a bit sick of Americans (not cyclists) asking me if I'm carrying a gun for protection. Does not exactly put one at ease, although at least now I know how to shoot some! Not had any situations which have made me feel in danger though. I'm more surprised that all the cyclists are white.

      Delete
  2. Hurrah for stats! (Just catching up on the blog, I've got behind!)

    ReplyDelete

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...