Thursday 13 April 2017

Ireland Day 2

I've managed to get the GPS tracker to work. Hooray! You'll see I spent s lot of time in Kinsale.....

After realigning my gears (successfully but took longer than it should have) I set off and promptly got another puncture in my back tyre. I put a nice new inner tube in and a few miles later another puncture. The glass I went over in Cork city centre shredded the tyre too much - it was pretty worn anyway. I bought some nice new tyres for the States but thought my old ones would be ok for Ireland. Maybe it would have happened to a new tyre also.

At least it was Thursday which meant a bike shop was open in Kinsale. After walking a couple of miles back to Kinsale I got all fitted out. I could only get a basic generic tyre which is not nearly so swooshy and pleasant to ride as nice road/touring ones. You could go cross country on it quite easily which means it's not so fast on roads. However this just means I get one more thing to add to my list of excuses for going slowly (along with wind, hills, poor road surface, poor cycling technique, admiring the view, lack of fitness, laziness..... you name it I've got an excuse!). It's good things are going wrong as I'm getting lots of experience. It's even better when they are quick to put right again :)

By the time all the faffing was done it was probably around 2:00. Then I had a lovely 20miles or so heading south and west. First lots of green fields with cows, horses and a surprising llama. Then onto the coast roads which were beautiful. Lovely beaches, some old remains of castles, an abbey at Timoleague and everywhere the nice smell of the sea.

As I didn't get as far as I wanted to (and am slightly nervous about having more problems and getting stranded far from Cork airport) I'm busy replanning a route based around campsites which are open. The owner of this campsite gave me her number and told me to give her a call if I got really stuck  - aren't people nice! Weather a nice mix of sun and clouds again.





1 comment:

  1. You typing all this from your phone? Impressive! And well done on overcoming adversity. And for building up a good repertoire of excuses. :-) x

    ReplyDelete

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...