Sunday 16 April 2017

Ireland Day 4 (Saturday)







Cycled in land from Skibbereen to a lake, then back east to Clonakilty. I'd been looking for a coffee shop and just happened to pass the model railway museum which had both trains and coffee. I though Dad and Norman would be disappointed if I didn't go in, though the museum was more about local history than geared towards railway enthusiasts.

Still here are some facts I learnt about the bygone railways of south Cork.......

  • Passengers could buy a ticket for a 'mystery train' which took them on a day trip to a surprise location! 

  • Once a year there was a pilgrimage train to a holy site which played prayers through the tannoy. 

  • In the war some branch line trains ran on turf, and 3rd class passengers had to get out and walk up the hills.

After coffee and cake I headed back to Timolegue and on to the headland at Courtmacsherry where there were amazing views. I got off the bike to do a short walk around the bluebell woods on the cliff.

A lovely day and 43 miles covered. My average speed with loaded panniers seems to be 9-10 miles an hour assuming no hills greater than 'rolling'. The smoothness of the road surface also makes a big difference, more than I'd notice usually (or perhaps Yorkshire has smoother roads as standard!)




No comments:

Post a Comment

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...