Monday 1 May 2017

Atlanta

Hello from the States!

I have made it to Atlanta. My connecting flight is delayed so I've been here for about a day (or so it feels). I shall use this time to take advantage of airport wifi and tell you about the start of my route.

The Trans America trail starts in Yorktown Virginia which I hope to reach tomorrow pm. Yorktown is where the British surrendered after the war of independence - I hope by now all is forgiven and my accent will still be met by the yanks with the usual delight. There are several historic sites to visit and I plan to spend a couple of days enjoying them along with logistical faffing. Being an ex-caver I need to faff for a bit before setting off properly!

The route follows quiet roads and cycle paths through to Jamestown which is a colonial town dating from 1607. I shall also cycle through Williamsburg, another early colony and now with costumed hosts and "strategically placed barrels" hiding anything modern looking. Brilliant!

There are plenty of campsites around Virginia and churches which let cyclists stay so I'll be spoilt for choice. My US phone is working so I'll be able to phone ahead if needed and also keep an eye on the weather, which can get more exciting than it does in the UK.

With all those treats and the sea close by for a day or two the trip should get off to a great start barring bike disasters. Now if only I can get out of Atlanta airport........

No comments:

Post a Comment

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...