Friday 5 May 2017

Ashland

Today I woke up to thunderstorms but they went away around 9:30 leaving a warm but cloudy day - perfect cycling weather. I cycled with Matt today to Ashland. You can see how little gear Matt is carrying compared to me!! I may have to lighten up soon, the Americans say it's a very English thing to 'pack the kitchen sink'. Matt will zip off tomorrow leaving me to plod at my Holly-pace.

We passed more civil war battlegrounds and I found reference to a Major Read (see photo below). I wonder if he was any relation. Although he was on the wrong side of the Civil War for my liking......... the roads were through beautiful wooded rural areas until we got to the outskirts of Richmond which were busier and less inspiring. 

Ashland is a very attractive railway town (hooray!) you can see a photo of a mural below. I counted a freight train passing with at least 60 wagon loads. It also has a shop which had free wine and beer tasting tonight so we lucked out here.

Oh plus I saw a groundhog at the campsite. I had to ask an American what it was - I was very excited about the groundhog!! No rowers spotted today though. 









7 comments:

  1. Does Matt really only have a handlebar bag and a tent?! How?! Also I think I spy that he has a Surly :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've no idea. I def have too much stuff, but I might yet need it all! Rich will be pleased to know the camping chair did get left behind, that was indeed a step too far! Matt had a Surly but I love my ridgeback.

      Delete
    2. You nearly took a camping chair?! Hehehehe! Maybe just reassess what you have and haven't used after a week or 10 days?

      Delete
  2. PS good going, I knew you'd set off! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for ground hogs! You didn't feel the need to deploy the pepper spray!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww i wouldn't mace a cute little groundhog!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems Matt made an impression! :-) and you cannot judge how much each one is carrying 1. Women we have other priorities 2. You live across a very large ocean, so you require important stuff! Maybe not much as a folding chair!;-) take care!

    ReplyDelete

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...