Sunday 14 May 2017

Natural Bridge

Adventures on four wheels today. Visited Natural Bridge State park. So called due to the natural limestone arch. Here are some fun facts:-

The arch is 66m high
George Washington surveyed the arch as a young man and apparently climbed 22 feet up and carved his initials on the rock. I couldn't spot them.
Thomas Jefferson purchased the rock from King George III in 1774 for 20 shillings which equates to around $160 in today's money. Bargain.
No one was abseiling down from the top, though I'm sure that would be a few cavers' first thoughts.

There was a pretty walk through the park with woods, waterfalls plus one water snake. There was also an exhibition on the Monacan Native Americans showing their traditional dwellings.

On the way back I drove another section of the blue ridge parkway to the South of where I cycled.  Cycling it was much more fun and a much better way to experience the views!
















1 comment:

  1. Impressive! Loving all the nerdy facts along the way, too. x

    ReplyDelete

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...