Monday 8 May 2017

Charlottesville

Cycled 59miles to Charlottesville- a long day, much of it on the aptly named 'rolling hills road'. The hills are getting steeper.

I passed by Monticello, the plantation of Thomas Jefferson. I could not see the house from the road but I did pass by the vineyards.

Highlight of the ride was two deer running through the woods and over the road in front of me. Worst was my first experience of being chased by a dog. He didn't get too close but I keep my pepper spray handy!

I had reserved a room at a cheap university hotel online the night before. I arrived to find it had burnt to the ground a couple of days ago - I couldn't make this stuff up. After a long cycle I was looking forward to a safe haven and this was rather a shock. I found a motel on the outskirts of town where I am staying for 2 nights.

Charlottesville is the home of the university of Virginia and I will use my rest day to have a look round the campus. I am also looking into options for the next phase of my trip, more on that later.

UPDATE - rest day in Charlottesville. I visited the campus of the university of Virginia (Go Cavaliers!) which was founded by Thomas Jefferson in 1819. Their central hall is a bit grander than at York Uni........





I would have liked to have visited Jefferson's plantation at Monticello but it would have involved backtracking a far bit and cycling up a big hill. Being America there is no public transport options to visit any sites.

I'm pushing on to the beginning of the Old Appalachians tomorrow. Today my legs hurt walking up stairs so tomorrow will be interesting. I'm giving myself all day to go 30 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...