Friday 26 May 2017

Ellington, MO

I have turned and am heading East back through the mountains again with a couple of shorter days to rest my legs a bit.

I stayed last night in Ellington, where the town has a cyclists hostel they let you use for a couple of dollars donation for water / electric. Most of the small towns round here are very welcoming to cyclists and hikers passing through.

I was glad I had good shelter as a heavy storm passed through as I was getting up. It only lasted 30mins though, leaving me another dry day for cycling. In the U.K. a good old storm blows the cobwebs away making everything fresh and cool. Here in Missouri a thunderstorm is followed by high humidity making the day muggy and damp feeling.

I met a Dutch cyclist travelling west to east. He cycled two days in Kansas then got so bored of the flat straight lines and unchanging landscape that he rented a car and also decided to skip Kansas. You would think the Dutch would be used to the flat. Missouri has not been flat but also definitely not boring. By cycling here in May I've also missed the summer heat - 40 degrees and high humidity would not be my ideal weather! The rockies and western states should be dryer and cooler in the summer months, I'm expecting downright cold at times.

Camping again tonight. I'll have 3 or 4 days of cycling now to return to Columbia.

Photos added, including one of a failure to prop the bike up on a road sign!










No comments:

Post a Comment

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...