Wednesday 17 May 2017

Indiana

Yesterday I passed through Indiana on the way to Corrie's house in Illinois (just across the Mississippi from St. Louis).

Every state in America has a motto e.g. West Virginia - Wild and Wonderful or Kentucky- unbridled spirit. Indiana's motto is 'The Crossroads of America' which doesn't sound too inspiring. Indiana also observes both Eastern and Central time which confused me as I never knew what time zone I was in!

I passed lots of show caves but they didn't seem any prettier than Yorkshire caves so instead I stopped off at the site where Abraham Lincoln grew up.

Lincoln lived as a pioneer in a small settlement in Indiana from ages 7 - 21. Below is the outline of the log cabin the family lived in as well as some reconstructed buildings. There was an interesting film about his time in Indiana, bizarrely narrated by Leonard Nimoy aka Captain Spock.

Lincoln helped his father build their cabin and scratch out a living from the woods cutting firewood and rowing folks across the Ohio river. At the time there were bears and panthers in the woods though they are gone now. It was certainly a humble beginning and I imagine one room at the White House would have had more floor space than the tiny cabin the family lived in.







1 comment:

  1. I've just caught up on all of these blog posts which has made some very nice Saturday morning reading :) sounds like you're having quite the adventure Holly! Photos look amazing! Good luck with the rest of the exploring and have a lovely time! x

    ReplyDelete

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...