Tuesday 23 May 2017

Lesterville, MO

Another 45 miles today with lots of hills, some v. steep. Finished by 2:00 but I was knackered! My average speed for the trip has now dropped to 8.9 mph.

Lots of woodland and creeks around. I am in the Iron Mountains so called due to lots of iron found in them. They are foothills of the Ozarks which I shall meet tomorrow!

I stopped at the site of the battle of Pilot Knob. With a name like that I just had to! During the civil war, Missouri's alligence was claimed by both the union and confederate armies. This meant lots of battles and the 3rd highest bloodshed for a State (after Virginia and Tennessee). The confederate army attacked the union held fort at Pilot Knob in 1864 but were held off. Like so many civil war forts only the foundations now remain, but there was a little musesum so at least I learnt something.

All the battleground visitors centres and small museums are free. In fact most museums seem to be free, a nice change from the UK and convenient when you just want to pop in while passing through.

A beautiful campsite by a river is my reward for the hills, a perfect place to chillax for the rest of the day.







3 comments:

  1. Hi Holly. We had found Pilot Knob on the map the other day and it provided a few laughs!! The photos look fantastic such a lovely part of the world, we are all enjoying your updates and are checking in on you every morning in the office. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an awesome campsite!! Did you go in for a dip or does it have things that might eat you in it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to paddle but it was very stony and I only have cycling shoes! It was actually very shallow. Very clear also. No piranhas :)

      Delete

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...