Sunday 21 May 2017

Chester, IL

Cycled 53 miles from Columbia to Chester. I took a slightly longer route to avoid a busy road and go Mississippi spotting. Sunny but with a breeze to keep me cool. I rescued one turtle on the road who was trying to cross and in danger of getting squished.

One of the best things about this trip is the pleasing random element. Chester is the home of Popeye - who knew I would go there! There are lots of signs with Popeye on.

A lot of the towns round here and the suburbs of St. Louis are influenced by the French colonial past. Below are a couple of pictures of a town called Red Bud so you can see the style of buildings. Also snapped a church in Chester and a rather cool barbers shop! There are several forts along the Mississippi which were held by the French and then usually the British in various skirmishes. The one I popped in on had only mounds of earth left.

You can see my luxury 'motel' for the night. It is owned by a charitable organisation called the 'Fraternal Order of Eagles'. Not to be confused with the Order of the Moose which is also a thing. The charity let hikers and cyclists stay for free in a little cabin. No one has tried to initiate me into a cult yet so I think it's alright. There is also a bar so I'm enjoying Mountain Dew and a book in the sunshine after an early start to beat the heat - though mid 20s today, very pleasant.










No comments:

Post a Comment

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...