Tuesday 20 June 2017

Hamilton, MT

I am now in the Bitterroot valley which is forested with alpine meadows. This is very pretty but I miss the wide open spaces of the last few days.

The Bitterroot plant was an important food source for the Native Americans here though I have not noticed it growing. It's a pink colour, very pretty but probably not to be found near my route. There is an abundance of purple flowers so I have added a picture of them.

It's very hot today and I can expect hot days in the 30s (C) till I get to the coast. I will need to plan early starts and finishes and plenty of ice cream stops where possible!

Today I followed the Bitterroot River downstream to Hamilton. Downstream is the best direction!

I stopped for a while in Darby which seems like a very Wild West kind of town, with regular rodeos and wood fronted buildings. Very unlike Derby! I debated buying a large metal T-Rex but wasn't sure how I could attach it to a bike.

Reached Hamilton around 2:30 and dived into a motel with air conditioning. Hamilton is a large modern town, not very exciting but a good grocery store with deli and lots of fresh fruit which I'm enjoying. Traffic was busy from Darby but the road had a wide shoulder to ride on.

Tomorrow will be 45-50 miles into Missoula on a dedicated bike path which runs alongside the highway.







No comments:

Post a Comment

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...