Friday 2 June 2017

Sioux City, SD

I'm back on 4 wheels again. After camping by a lake near Omaha, Nebraska I drove to Sioux City, South Dakota.

Here I stopped at a Lewis and Clark museum. Clark was my age and Lewis a bit younger when they set off for 2 years and 4 months opening a path to the West (1804-1806) being the first Euro-Americans to cross much of the Americans West, travelling over 7,000 miles by boat, horse and foot. They encountered over 50 Native American tribes who were crucial to the expedition's success. The museum had interesting toys and games used by the Native Americans at the time. The one wher you spin round a bone to make an annoying noise sounds very much like what kids play with today!

I think the lego interpretation below gives you a far better idea of the expedition than I could.

I've followed Lewis and Clark from St Louis to Sioux City but now our paths diverge as I take a route further south. Maybe we'll meet again in Oregon.

Whilst driving I was thinking how nice it would be to get back on the bike. Then I stepped out into the 90 degree heat (see how I've adapted to farenheight) and thought that would be near impossible for me to cope with cycling! Let's hope the west is cooler.



Preparations started in 1803




No comments:

Post a Comment

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...