Tuesday 11 July 2017

Mitchell, OR

I set off from Dayville at 5:20 as I had 2000ft to climb to the top of Keyes Creek Pass 33 miles away. There were no real steep sections and I made the summit at 10am having managed to stay cool all morning. On the way up I passed several gophers and a shoe tree. I thought I was perhaps crossing the Pacific Crest hiking trail but I will cross that later at Sisters.

Soon after leaving Dayville I cycled through Picture Gorge which really was spectacular, a narrow road and river with sheer cliffs rising high on each side. In the cool shade and with no traffic about I enjoyed the morning ride. Swerving round the dead rattlesnakes on the road I enjoyed the desert-like scenery.

From Keyes Creek Pass it was 7 miles downhill to Mitchell, I didn't have to turn the pedals once!

Oregon is definitely winning the prize for best hostels. The Spoke'n hostel in Mitchell is a haven to spend the afternoon. Pat and Jalét the owners are lovely, you can see Pat in the kitchen, making me a strong cup of coffee. The afternoon is merely "hot" instead of "this is insane I want to die hot" so after playing the piano (poorly) for a bit I headed out to a hammock in the shade by a beaver dam to read and nap. I'm also taking full advantage of the kettle, tea bags and milk. The Americans as usual think this is weird.

I met Lindsay who was leaving the hostel as I arrived. She is walking across the states pushing her gear in a buggy. She started in South Carolina in November and is on her 6th pair of shoes (having left an old pair in the shoe tree I passed). She is having an amazing time and now she is nearly finished (relatively speaking) is trying to decide what adventure to do next.

Over another pass tomorrow to Prineville.



 











No comments:

Post a Comment

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...