Monday 5 June 2017

Badlands - Day 2

A selection of photos below. Spotted some prairie dogs (very cute), bison (very large) and bighorn sheep (very big horns!). This is where I missed having a decent camera on me but a telephoto lens may have been a bit much on the bike.

At night there was a geology lecture which included information about the prehistoric animals that swam or lived in the park through the ages. Then there was a stargazing event. The moon was shining very brightly so there was not a crazy amount of stars visible. However we did view the moon and Jupiter through telescopes and I learnt (or re-remembered) a lot of astronomy facts.

I also am not carrying hiking boots so did a short trail in the morning over the barren landscape thus avoiding the sharp cactus which is in much of the park. You are welcome to hike anywhere in the park, but posts mark out trails which are passable. Once you start hiking you are soon surrounded by the strange other-worldly landscape and it would be easy to get disorientated. I didn't expect the scale to be so large somehow, exploring the park was a great experience and a unique environment.

Many Americans expressing their sympathy and solidarity after the recent attacks in Manchester and London.











No comments:

Post a Comment

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...