Friday 2 June 2017

Sioux Falls, SD

This afternoon I visited Sioux Falls park which contains the aforementioned falls in a green oasis in the middle of Sioux Falls city. Each second, 7,400 gallons of water drop 100 feet over the course of the falls. The rock is Sioux Quartzite which has a pink colour. Apparently it is the second hardest rock after diamond.

In 1908 hydroelectric generators were built but the demands of the city soon outstripped supply and the plant was disused from the 1940s. Now the building houses a cafe which meant I could get an ice cream :)

There was also a seven story mill built in 1881 but inadequate water power and a short supply of wheat mean this only operated for 2 years.

It was a very nice place to stop driving and chill out for an afternoon. People were using the trails for cycling, rollerblading and running (even though it was crazy hot) as well as sitting under the trees for picnics.

One of the buildings had a nice patchwork in which I snapped for Mum.







No comments:

Post a Comment

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...