Monday 26 June 2017

Powell, ID

There was frost on my tent this morning when I got up. How can it be over 30C in the day and near freezing at night? The climate in these mountains is just not British! No mosquitoes for a few days though so that's good.

I climbed to the top of Lolo Pass (having an easier time of it than Lewis & Clark did) and into Idaho. Idaho is my 6th cycling state and 4th time zone. There was a great visitor centre at the top of the pass with free coffee, a nature walk and lots of displays on the history and environment of the region. Mum will also like the 'wilderness patchwork', each of the local craft guilds contributed a square. I felt very welcomed to Idaho - though I've yet to see a potato!

Descending the pass was great fun - ten miles without having to do anything so strenuous as pedalling! The views were fantastic and the road wound through forest and then alongside a fast moving stream.

I stopped off a Cedar Grove where there was a nice short walk through 500 year old cedar trees - very peaceful.

I camped at Lochsa Lodge, primarily a hunting lodge as you can see from the photo. If you arrive by bike you can camp outside for free. At that price I was happy to pay $5 for a cooling shower complete with soap, shampoo and a big fluffy towel. It was very quiet and the night was warmer, I slept very well.











No comments:

Post a Comment

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...