Tuesday 13 June 2017

Grant Village, Yellowstone, WY

Goodbye Grand Tetons, Hello Yellowstone.

Well I can't complain it's too hot for cycling now, look at all that snow! I climbed up to the Yellowstone caldera, following the Lewis River, and to the campsite at Grant Village. I was now on the worlds most active volcano (Maybe. I've learnt Americans tend to exaggerate).

I saw a few elk on my way despite seeing none in the national Elk refuge. They have clearly gone to Yellowstone for their holidays.

It was the first night that Grant Campground was open. It is the last campsite in Yellowstone to open on account of all the bears in that area. They've just come out of hibernation and are hungry. Part of the campsite was still closed due to bears prowling round, eek! I slept with my bear spray close at hand!

I pitched up and then cycled to West Thumb Geyser Basin which was awesome. It is on the shore of Yellowstone Lake. Lots of bubbling geysers, hot springs and beautifully clear pools. Also more elk. There is a photo below of elk with geysers which I shall cleverly entitle 'Elk with Geysers'.

It chucked down with rain all evening so I curled up in my tent. I've said 100 times that my backlit kindle is the best thing I ever bought!! I was happy to read all evening.

George if you're reading thanks for the tip about putting hand warmers in my sleeping bag. At temperatures just above freezing they kept me (relatively) toasty!









2 comments:

  1. Hungry bears on the prowl sounds a little too exciting. You need my super down bag...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one (in York) but it takes up a whole pannier even compressed! I don't think I'll be wanting it again though. Hot now and I think hot later!

      Delete

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...