Friday 30 June 2017

White Bird, ID

I climbed and descended White Bird Hill on a long and winding road. This old highway is now deserted apart from 4 cyclists going the other way. We swapped tips on where to stop. From the summit of the hill there were fantastic views to the bottom of the canyon, it was a great ride. I was to cycle along the canyon floor the next day.

Another lovely campsite at White Bird with a beach on the Salmon River. The rivers here are popular for rafting but I've not seen any rafters yet. For the last few days the evenings have been a pleasent temperature, no bugs or likely bears around so perfect for camping.

According to my map, White Bird has a population of 91 people. These 91 people have decided they don't want to live in a town without a pizza parlour so I rode back to the "city centre" in the evening for a pizza. Well worth a couple of extra miles.

I was joined at the campsite by some fellow tourers. 3 guys from California who were heading east and also Madeline and Adam. Madeline is cycling the Trans am route west to east and Adam is driving the support car, though he had his bike also to do some cycling when he fancies. Again we swapped tips on good places to see and stay.









2 comments:

  1. I was inspired by your solo adventures onto my bike yesterday - only a little trip to Howsham and Kirkham Priory and back, but more cycling than I've done in ages (60k)! My bike is not so good at hills (and neither am I) but luckily there were only tiny ones unlike yours!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and no exciting wildlife for me sadly, although I did see a bird chasing away a rabbit

    ReplyDelete

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...