Tuesday 6 June 2017

Request for funding

All,

Several people have asked me whether I was doing this trip to raise funds for charity. I am not as I felt bad asking for funds for an enjoyable trip I wanted to do anyway. In addition I wanted the flexibility to cycle where I wanted rather than do a coast to coast challenge.

However....... if you do feel like making a donation to one of the causes below that would be much appreciated my myself and fellow cyclists.

Jay Creswell is a New Zealander who was on track to complete the coast to coast route. Jay was completing over 100miles every day. We only exchanged waves as he sped past but I heard all about him from fellow cyclists. Jay is a vegan and his diet was 1 jar of peanut butter, 1 loaf of bread and a bunch of bananas each day!

Unfortunately Jay was recently hit by a vehicle and has suffered major injuries. I obviously don't know details of his insurance coverage but any accident of this type will incur costs and significant inconvenience for Jay and his family no matter how comprehensive his insurance is. Matt who I met in Virginia has set up the fundraising page below, if you can spare any money, no matter how small all the Trans America cycling community will be very grateful. I am sure it will save Jay some financial worries on top of everything else.

https://www.gofundme.com/jay-creswell-medical-fund

Matt himself is completing the coast to coast trip (all on 2 wheels unlike me!) to raise money and awareness for Syrian Refugees. If you would like to donate you can visit his fundraising page here.

http://www.savethechildren.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=1091398&supId=442767175

Jay's accident is obviously a sombre reminder of the dangers of cycling. I hope this post does not lead anyone to worry about me. I do not think cycling in the US is any more dangerous than cycling in the UK, something I do almost daily. I do what I can to negate the risks, being aware of my surroundings, riding only in daylight & ensuring I am brightly coloured and visible. The vast majority of drivers here have been very patient and courteous.

I do not think the journey I am on is any more dangerous than driving on the motorway. As recent events have reminded us even going to a pop concert or walking around London carries an element of risk. All we can do is follow our dreams and not put ourselves in unnecessary danger if it can be avoided.


No comments:

Post a Comment

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...