Saturday 3 June 2017

Badlands, SD - day 1

As I may not get wifi for a while I'm using the national park service visitors centre wifi to upload a few photos. Drove today through the Buffalo National Grasslands (spotted cows but no buffalo) to Badlands national park.

The statue of a Native American and the teepee were at a interstate rest stop where Lewis and Clark camped out. Obviously they didn't just pull off the interstate.... you know what I mean.

Badlands is awesome, it's like a science fiction film landscape, I've not seen anything like it. I'm no geologist so you're best off googling if you want to know how the landscape was formed! It's stunning anyway and huge.

Walked a couple of shorter trails and hope to hike some longer ones tomorrow if its cooler in the morning. I'm camping in the park tonight (if I can get the tent pegs in!) so expect lots more photos to come. There is also a fossil trail I want to do today or tomorrow. In the time of the dinosaurs Badlands was a warm shallow sea filled with giant marine lizards called mosasaurs and lots of fossils have been found here.

I saw one cycle tourer in the park today, all heat and no shade - looked like he was struggling!

Today's dangerous animal to beware of is the rattlesnake!n

Update: popped back to the visitor centre to upload this afternoons photos. The campsite has shaded picnic benches which I'm very thankful for. It's an amazing place to camp and there is a stargazing event tonight, the rangers will bring telescopes. Apparently Jupiter is visible most nights. May get a good sunset too.





















2 comments:

  1. Hi Holly, You are on an amazing journey! Great pictures and I think you have incredible balls to undertake the adventure. I am really enjoying reading about your adventure and its good to know you have not been bear-fodder yet. You must fit as a fiddle with all this cycling. I am still getting to grips with the clip in shoes!! Got my first cycle sportive this Sunday from Clitheroe up to Malham & back through the Forest of Bowland - 60 miles! I will think of you while I pedal. Take Care & keep on the journey. Best wishes Helen (Read - NR)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, Great to hear from you. I don't use clip in shoes (have toe clips instead) mostly because then I'd have to carry another pair of shoes and I've already got enough luggage. I'm a bit worried my thin trainers are going to wear out soon though! I hope you enjoy the sportive, sounds super - lots of hills near Malham!

      Not sure about the fitness- all American food has a ton of sugar in it and I've just ate an ice cream the size of my head! X

      Delete

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...