Tuesday 20 June 2017

Sula, MT

A bluebird day in Montana! Life is very good.

For the past couple of days the roads have been very quiet. I have shared them with gophers, columbian ground squirrels (aka whistling squirrels), pronged antelope, deer, cattle in the ranches, osprey, hawks, kites and lots of other smaller birds.

Today however I shared the road with 100 classic cars! Thankfully going the opposite direction to me so it was fun to watch them go past. I took a picture of a very tasteful purple car and a green car when they parked up at a visitor centre. They are a group from Idaho who do a week long road trip each year.

I stopped at the site of the Battle of Bighorn (August 1877). Here the Nez Perce Indians fought their last battle with the US army for the right to live on their homeland. After the battle, Indian prisoners were sent to prison camps in Kansas and Oklahoma. Many who escaped fled to Canada. A very sad period of American history.

Ended the day with a climb up to Chief Joseph path and crossed the continental divide once again. Then a 12 mile steep descent to Sula - super fun.

Camped at Sula (the campsite and attached store appear to comprise the entire of Sula) which was a pleasant campsite and a perfect sunny evening to enjoy the outdoors and get some energy back.

PS - I forgot to mention that I also have been sharing the road with some very unwanted mosquitoes. I'm pretty much a dot to dot puzzle of insect bites despite copious amounts of deet. Guess there is some downside to being outdoors all the time!












1 comment:

  1. Looks like gorgeous weather! Cool cars too! Soooooo envious of your awesome adventure xx

    ReplyDelete

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...