Saturday 17 June 2017

Dillon, MT

A short and easy day to Dillon about 30 miles. I have two climbs tomorrow and like to climb at the beginning of the day if possible. The first mountain pass however is called 'Badger Pass' and it's hard to feel intimidated by a climb with such a silly name.

I can't explain how beautiful Montana is to cycle through. There is such a lot of huge open space but rather than being barren and dull the landscape is green and lush. I passed by many meadows, streams, lakes and ranches. Off in the distance there are snow capped mountains with Middle-Earth names such as 'Copper Mountian' and 'Smelter Mountian'. The ranchers here wear cowboy hats and moustaches in a non-ironic way and are very friendly.

I've met up with those Lewis and Clark chaps again. I've been south of them for a while but our paths have reconverged. Below is a picture of Beaverhead Rock (and if you can make out a beaver's head you've done better than me!). The expedition met the Shoshone tribe at Beaverhead rock in August 1805 to get some much needed horses and supplies. Without this they could not have made it over the rockies that winter.

I am staying in Dillon with Tammie, a warm showers host, and her grandchildren. Tammie is very welcoming and I very much appreciate a place to stay, a chance to do laundry and a nice lawn and deck chair to relax on.



Beaverhead Rock





2 comments:

  1. Sounds a bit more epic than me and Laura. While you were doing this, we were taking two days to walk the Esk Valley in the Moors, in unbearable 25 degree heat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd have complained if it had rained! ;)
      I shall soon be wishing the heat was a meer 25 degrees. It's going to be well above 30 for the next few weeks now I fear.

      Delete

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...