Tuesday 6 June 2017

Jackson, WY

Had a great drive to Jackson today, below are some pictures from the road. From the road I saw ranchers on horseback herding a large pack of cows. Looks like the way things were done 100 years ago. I also spotted bison and pronged antelope from the road though none very close. Snow is around so finally a cool cycling climate 😎. Nights in my tent are going to be cold though!

Unless I camp, cycle, hike, ski etc in the mountains I don't really feel like I experience them so it will be great to be back on two wheels and immersed in the landscape again (I'll change my tune with the first inclement weather I'm sure!!). The car has now been returned - being an automatic it was rubbish at hills anyway, I missed having control over my gears.

The mountain range is the Grand Teton range and I am going to cycle through Grand Teton national park and then up through Yellowstone.

My bike has a new shiny chain and is enjoying a couple of nights in a hotel room before the next adventure. I am staying in Jackson tomorrow to do a bit of prep / shopping for the next stage of the trip. Jackson looks like a really fun town, lots going on - even a free outdoor bouldering wall to play on.

The first days cycling will be a very gradual ascent on a paved cycle path running alongside the road I drove in on. Therefore I know I can expect amazing views again if clear! You can hire bikes in Jackson and a fair few people were cycling the path today along with some roller skiers, though I'm not sure they were doing the 'stomp and glide' correctly.

I wanted to stay the first cycling night in a climbing hut but I'll be 2 days before they open to the public. This is a shame as I like climbing huts and feel I could defend one against a bear if needed! So camping it is. Although it will be colder it's nice being early in the season as I should have less difficulty finding space at campsites (in national parks you need to camp in designated sites, plus I will feel more secure against bears!) and there will be less vehicles on the road.







1 comment:

  1. Looks really rather nice! I like the snowy mountains :)

    ReplyDelete

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...