Tuesday 13 June 2017

Canyon, Yellowstone, WY

I stayed two nights at a lodge in Canyon. This allowed me to cycle and hike around the 'Grand Canyon of Yellowstone' without luggage.

The canyon was beautiful. It has an upper and lower falls, the classic photo is of the lower falls which are the highest at 308 feet. There were lots of trails and viewpoints. There was an Osprey nesting in the canyon and lots of birdwatchers admiring it.

The sunshine and clouds gave way to rain and then snow. I hadn't had a chance to looks round any of the park's museums so I went to the small one at Canyon where they also had a couple of films about the park showing. I was glad to be inside as it kept snowing all evening, I'm not really carrying the gear for winter camping. It was hard to believe the change in weather from the morning sunshine, still less that a few days ago I was cycling in t shirt and shorts.

Due to weather and construction on the roads I had decided to stay a couple of days at Canyon rather than cycle up to Mammoth Hot Springs. I was glad I had more time to hike round the canyon. I'd have liked to see Mammoth but talked to a few rangers and the roads are worse for cycling up there plus construction work is a pain on a bike. The traffic light segments are geared up for car speeds. As the weather closed in I was happy with my choice.









1 comment:

  1. Cycling in the snow next to lorries doesn't sound hugely fun, think you made the right choice. Seen anything you think you could climb yet!?

    ReplyDelete

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...