Monday 26 June 2017

Lowell, ID

65 miles today following the Lochsa river gently downstream through a forested canyon. Like most days I thought how lucky I was to be able to spend the day riding my bike through such a beautiful part of the world. On that note my bike has behaved itself wonderfully since the beginning of my trip.

I was travelling through the Nez Perce Clearwater national forest. The Nez Perce were the Native Americans who lived on this land until driven off it by the US army in the 1870s. After a series of battle they retreated to Big Hole, Montana- see my post from Sula.

I stopped at Lochsa ranger station which dates from the 1920s. A great place to refill water bottles, have a snack in the shade and admire the chipmunks and hummingbirds. In other wildlife news I'm sad to say I ran over a garter snake today - he was under my wheels before I saw him. Sorry snake!

The afternoon was much less fun as the temperature reached 36C. Pretty unbearable even trending downhill. I popped down to the river a couple of times to cool off and took plenty of breaks when I could find shade. I can expect similar temperatures to come so afternoon riding will have to be kept to a minimum.

I'm staying at the Three Rivers Resort, Lowell - a very comfortable room. They also have a pool and the owner confirmed that cycling shorts and a sports bra was acceptable swimming attire so I enjoyed a swim to cool down. The resort is pretty deserted and I'm glad I had my trusty rice and tuna with me as the grocery store here also appears closed. A lot of places I have passed in Montana and Idaho look as if they were once prosperous but are now closed or up for sale - a shame with such beautiful landscape and friendly people.

I've seen a fair few other tourers over the last couple of weeks, most travelling the opposite way. Vast majority are male and appear to be solo travellers, again a whole range of ages. I did see two other solo female travellers who were both competing in the Trans Am race. I met one couple on a tandem and seen two recumbent bikes. Also saw one African American cyclist, a very underrepresented race in the world of bike touring.














No comments:

Post a Comment

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...