Wednesday 21 June 2017

Missoula, MT

52miles of flat cycle path to Missoula today. I was enjoying the view of the Bitterroot mountains until I remembered I have still to cross them!

I got an early start to beat the heat and was 3/4 of the way to Missoula by noon. I therefore decided to go to Traveler's Rest State Park. After all I am a traveller and I like to rest! I was glad I did as it was lovely to look round and sit and read by the river for a while. I took a picture of the June wildlife list for the state park. I have seen so many beautiful birds and butterflies around. A resolution for the future is to learn more names of plants, trees and birds so I know and understand what I see.

Lewis and Clark camped in that place in September 1805 and again on the return journey in July 1806, before they separated to explore different regions on their return journey. Archeologists have found a lot of evidence of the camp (lead , buttons, trade beads etc) and have marked out where the camp would have been. I shall be following them over the Bitterroot mountains.

It's fun travelling the country East to West, from the birthplace of the American Revolution in Virginia, the civil war sites in Missouri and the exploration and settlement of the American West. I've seen & learnt a lot of history on my journey so far. Being a history graduate I like that though it's maybe not everyone's cup of tea.

I have a couple of rest days in Missoula after 14 consecutive cycling days (though a few of those were quite short!). Missoula is the home of the university of Montana and also home of Adventure Cycling whose route I have been following. I popped in to say hello on the knowledge they give cyclists free ice cream and got my photo added to their wall.


There looks like enough to do in Missoula to keep me entertained. There is a good hike up nearby Sentinal Mountain so I'll likely do some 'active recovery'.

I thought Dad would like the yellow fire engine!

Picture at the Adventure Cycling HQ













No comments:

Post a Comment

That's All Folks

My cycling adventures in America have come to an end! I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. I won't try a...